The exclusive jeweller Boucheron opened in Paris in 1858 and quickly attracted a discerning aristocratic and royal clientele. This ingenious change purse consists of twelve overlapping panels attached to a central base by chains that operate as drawstrings to secure it shut. Delicate acorns hang from the end of each chain, exemplifying the skilled craftsmanship of the house. In France such small change purses made of gold or less precious metals were known as bourse à Louis, after the national gold coin, the Louis d’Or.
Accession Number: SHM.2011.M.53